Destroyed cars in the Sha’ar Hanegev regional council near Gaza on Friday, at the scene of a mortar explosion that killed a 4-year-old Israeli boy. Credit: Twitter.
(JNS.org) A 4-year-old Israeli boy was killed on Friday when a mortar launched from Gaza hit a car near where the boy was standing, Israel’s Channel 2 reported.
The incident occurred in a kibbutz in the Sha’ar Hanegev regional council near Gaza. The boy was rushed to the hospital with serious injuries and eventually was pronounced dead at the hospital shortly after.
Given their extremely short range, mortar shells fired from Gaza are not usually picked up by the Iron Dome anti-missile system.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a call to the head of the Sha’ar Hanegev regional council that Hamas would pay a “heavy price” for the boy’s death.
U.S. Ambassador to Israel Dan Shapiro said on his Facebook page, “I condemn in the strongest terms this outrageous terrorist attack and offer condolences to the boy’s family. Israel has the right and obligation to defend itself, which the United States supports.”
Earlier on Friday, a rocket landed adjacent to a preschool near Eshkol, while another hit a synagogue in the southern city of Ashdod, injuring three people. More than 70 rockets were launched at Israel on Friday.
Powered by WPeMatico