At least 4 rockets intercepted over Tel Aviv area as heavy barrage launched from Gaza

Please Share Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on StumbleUponDigg thisEmail this to someonePrint this page
 An Iron Dome launcher fires an interceptor rocket in the southern Israeli city of Ashdod Photo: REUTERS
An Iron Dome launcher fires an interceptor rocket in the southern Israeli city of Ashdod Photo: REUTERS

In addition to Tel Aviv and its surroundings, the salvo of rockets sets off Code Red alert sirens in Ashdod, Herzliya, Ramat Hasharon and Petah Tikva; 2 rockets fall in Dimona; no initial reports of injuries.

At least four rockets were intercepted by the Iron Dome over the greater Tel Aviv area on Wednesday in the latest barrage of projectiles launched from the Gaza Strip.

In addition to Tel Aviv and its surroundings, the brace of rockets set off Code Red rocket alert sirens in Ashdod, Herzliya, Ramat Hasharon and Petah Tikva.

Two rockets fell in open areas of Dimona, the site of Israel’s nuclear reactor.

There were no immediate reports of injury or damage in the attacks.

Earlier on Tuesday, the Ashkelon area was the target of eight rockets, six of which were intercepted by Iron Dome.

The Eshkol Regional Council, which borders the Gaza Strip and has been one of the most often attacked areas, was also targeted by four rockets on Wednesday morning.

The rocket fire came as the IDF was expected to expand its bank of targets in Gaza as part of Operation Protective Edge.

The IDF dropped leaflets in northern Gaza, to residents of Sajaiya, Zeitun and Beit Lahia, and sent recorded messages and placed calls, warning civilians to leave. The leaflets told residents that despite a truce, Hamas and terror organizations continue to fire rockets, and the IDF therefore plans to strike with much power against terrorists and targets in Sajaiya and Zeitun.

“From these areas, rocket fire is being launched against the state of Israel. For your safety, you are requested to leave your homes immediately and travel towards Gaza City by Wednesday at 8 a.m. The IDF does not wish to harm you or your families.

Clear the area to safeguard your lives. Do not return to the area until further notice. Anyone who does not listen to these instructions… endangers his life and that of his family,” the leaflet said.

More than a thousand rockets have been fired into Israel since Operation Protective Edge was launched last week. Tuesday saw Israel’s first casualty from the conflict, as a fragment from a mortar shell killed Dror Chanin, 37, of Beit Ariyeh at the Erez crossing.

Chanin had come as a civilian volunteer to distribute food to soldiers at Erez.

Please Share Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on StumbleUponDigg thisEmail this to someonePrint this page