Breaking News

Bomb Scare Shuts Grand Central Station after “Man Calls 911 Claiming Device Would Explode in 13 Minutes”

A bomb scare closed New York’s Grand Central  Station during the Oscars ceremony last night after a man reportedly called 911  claiming a device ‘would explode in 13 minutes’.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority  (MTA) shut down its shuttle service between the station and Times Square and  told trains 4,5 and 6 to bypass the affected area.

There were also initial reports the station  had been evacuated and confusion reigned as neither the MTA, NYPD or Metro North  would confirm the cause of the emergency.

On alert: A bomb scare closed Grand Central Station (pictured) in New York last night after a man reportedly called 911 claiming a device would explode ‘in 13 minutes’

However, after a 30-minute search by the  NYPD, no bomb was discovered.

The alarm was apparently triggered when a man  rang 911 at around 9pm saying a ‘bomb will go off in 13 minutes’.

NYScanner reported that the bomb squad had  been despatched and the area evacuated.

The NYPD would not comment on whether there  had been a bomb threat and initially referred inquiries to the MTA.

At 9.40pm, a spokesman for the MTA subway system confirmed that the Times Square shuttle had been shut down, and  4, 5  and 6 trains were skipping the station temporarily.

But it would not say what the cause was and  told journalists to go to the commuter railroad, Metro North, for any inquiries,  it was reported by DNAinfo.

A spokesman for the Metro North Railroad,  which handles railroad operations at the station in turn called the operation  ‘an NYPD investigation’ and said ‘there is nothing wrong at Grand Central  Terminal, which is what the MTA handles’.

It was only at 10.15pm, when trains returned  to normal that the MTA suggested the situation had been caused by a bomb  scare.

MTA spokeswoman Deirdre Parker said: ‘My  understanding is that it was bomb threat, but that’s all I know. I don’t know  anything about the terminal, and the NYPD is taking the lead on it.’

At 11pm, the NYPD had still not confirmed  whether any bomb scare had occurred.

Please ShareShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponPin on PinterestEmail this to someone

Jewish Content

Posted by on February 25, 2013. Filed under NY News,Slider. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.