Breaking News

City Sanitation Worker Electrocuted while Removing Debris in Staten Island

A city sanitation worker was zapped by electricity this morning while removing debris in Staten Island, authorities said.

Michael Lewery, 46, was clearing an area in New Dorp Beach along Milton Avenue at 10:25 a.m. when he felt a jolt, officials said.

“He was working on debris removal and was loading a ruined refrigerator into a truck when he apparently felt an electrical shock and screamed,” said Sanit Department spokesman Vito Turso.

Lewery, a 13-year sanitation veteran, was rushed to Staten Island University North Hospital where he is in stable condition, said a spokesman for the FDNY.

It was not immediately clear was caused the electrocution, but sanitation supervisors said that they did not detect any live wires in the area.

Lewery, a Staten Island resident, sustained major damage to his own home during the storm, sources said.

Sanitation workers were out in full force today with 700 trucks operating citywide, Turso said.

Source: The NY Post

Please ShareShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponPin on PinterestEmail this to someone

Jewish Content

Posted by on November 4, 2012. Filed under NY News,Slider. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.