EU ‘can consider revising’ 1967 lines boycott, French foreign minister says

Please Share Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on StumbleUponDigg thisEmail this to someonePrint this page
EU flags in front of the European Commission building in Brussels. Credit:<br />
Amio Cajander via Wikimedia Commons.

EU flags in front of the European Commission building in Brussels. Credit: Amio Cajander via Wikimedia Commons.

(Israel
Hayom/Exclusive to JNS.org)
The new European Union (EU)
directive which bars the bloc’s member nations from developing future financial
cooperation with Israeli communities beyond the 1967 lines can be reviewed and
revised, French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius, who is currently visiting
Israel, said during a press conference held Sunday at the French Embassy in Tel
Aviv.

The EU directive, passed in mid-July, calls on
its principal institutions and 28-member nations to limit or suspend their
economic, social and academic cooperation with Israeli institutions that
operate beyond the pre-1967 lines, which include Judea and Samaria, eastern
Jerusalem, and the Golan Heights. The new funding guidelines, which could cost
Israel billions of dollars, go into effect in 2014.

According to Army
Radio
, while Fabius stressed that France and the EU’s position on the
matter has not changed, he said that Brussels “can consider revising the
boycott on settlements… and we must see whether [the decision] had any
unpredictable implications.”

Earlier in August, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
said, “Israel will not sign any new agreements with the EU while the directive
regarding the 1967 borders remains in effect.”

…read more
Source: JNS.org

Please Share Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on StumbleUponDigg thisEmail this to someonePrint this page