Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor said on Saturday that a former ambassador’s recent statement that Israel has killed most of the people responsible for the 1992 deadly bombing of the Israeli embassy in Buenos Aires, is “utterly detached from reality”, Israeli daily Walla reports.
Yitzchak Aviran, a former Israeli ambassador to Argentina, claimed last week that the vast majority of those responsible for the attack at the Israeli embassy in Buenos Aires, “are no longer in this world, and we did it ourselves,” JTA reported.
Palmor explained that, “These statements were unauthoritative and baseless. They [Aviran’s contention] are the fruits of a fertile imagination.” Palmor went on to say that, “Israel continues to cooperate fully and transparently with the Argentinean government’s investigation into the attacks on the Buenos Aires Israeli embassy and local Jewish community center,” Walla said.
As reported by the JTA, Aviran, who served as ambassador until 2000, arrived in Buenos Aires in 1993, a year before the attack on the community center and a year after a car bomb in front of the Israeli embassy in the city killed 29 people and wounded 200 others.