The Daily Star said the Army discovered the launchpads in Khreibet, in south Lebanon, where two rockets fired towards Israel’s Kiryat Shmona likely were launched from. In a statement, the Army said two rockets were launched into Israel from somewhere in Khreibet at 7:02 a.m.
The United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon confirmed that the two attacks violated international law. U.N. Commander Maj. Gen. Paolo Serra said, “This is a very serious incident in violation of U.N. Security Council Resolution 1701 and is clearly directed at undermining stability in the area,” according to a statement. “UNIFIL’s first imperative is to ensure that there is no further escalation of the situation and I have been assured by the parties of their full cooperation with UNIFIL in this effort and of their continued commitment to the cessation of hostilities,” he said on Sunday.
On Sunday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said,“We hold the Lebanese government responsible for firing that is carried out from within its territory. What is happening in Lebanon is that Hezbollah is stationing thousands of missiles and rockets in apartments, in the heart of the civilian population, and is thus perpetrating two war crimes simultaneously. It is organizing the firing at civilians, just as it did today, and it is hiding behind civilians as human shields.”
The newspaper said residents of Majdalyoun, near Sidon, also found unexploded rocket-propelled grenades and empty shells in a dump site, and informed the Army. An expert who examined the shells said that the detonators had been removed, meaning the shells were not ready to explode, The Daily Star said.