US President Barack Obama said North Korea’s latest nuclear test was a “highly provocative act” that threatens US security and international peace.
“The danger posed by North Korea’s threatening activities warrants further swift and credible action by the international community,” Obama said in a statement issued early Tuesday. “The United States will also continue to take steps necessary to defend ourselves and our allies.”
“We will strengthen close coordination with allies and partners and work with our Six-Party partners, the United Nations Security Council, and other UN member states to pursue firm action,” he said.
“These provocations do not make North Korea more secure,” Obama said. “Far from achieving its stated goal of becoming a strong and prosperous nation, North Korea has instead increasingly isolated and impoverished its people through its ill-advised pursuit of weapons of mass destruction and their means of delivery.”
“It was confirmed that the nuclear test that was carried out at a high level in a safe and perfect manner using a miniaturized and lighter nuclear device with greater explosive force than previously did not pose any negative impact on the surrounding ecological environment,” KCNA said.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned North Korea’s nuclear test, saying it was a “clear and grave violation” of UN Security Council resolutions.
The UN Security Council is expected to hold an emergency meeting over the test.
One Western diplomat said he hoped the council would approve an initial statement condemning the nuclear test, and begin work on a more comprehensive council reaction. Getting approval on a council resolution, however, could take weeks.