By Shirley Bar
I’m guilty of it, too! So much food, so much time, so much weight-gain! The holidays are behind us but the weight that we packed on will not go anywhere if we don’t detox now. It is important to get rid of the weight that we put on within the last few weeks, otherwise these unwanted pounds will get firm and will be much more difficult to lose. Don’t let the word detox scare you, you could be eating a whole lot of great food and still detox.
Detoxification is what our body does naturally to get rid of and neutralize toxins so that they do not harm us. Detoxification is a primary function of the body, constantly working to improve and optimize our overall health. Most foods contain contaminants that are unnecessary for human life, such as flavor enhancers, food colorings, pesticides, and preservatives. We are exposed to so many toxins in our food, in our drinks, in the air we breathe, not to mention the radiation we’re exposed to on a daily basis (wi-fi, cellphones, computers, outside wiring, microwaves, etc.). Thank G-d, our body has this detox mechanism that shields us from potentially getting sick.
Just like we clean our external body by brushing our teeth, showering daily, and making sure to stay and smell clean, so should we do with our internal body. Our detoxification system is so powerful and involves the liver, the intestinal tract, the kidneys, lungs, lymphatic system, and skin. Although the conventional medical system ignores this approach, it has proven to be extremely successful even when fighting off disease. Time and time again I have seen amazing results in my practice while putting my clients on a detox plan, and I recommend it especially now, after we have overindulged for so many days.
The goal is to decrease the amount of toxins that we put in our bodies and increase the amount of nutrients so that we can support our detoxification and elimination system. In response to the many requests I’ve had, I put together a plan that will work for you as well as it did for hundreds of clients of mine within the last 15 years.
1. Drink two cups of room temperature water first thing in the morning. Squeeze some fresh lemon in it, if possible, and only after that go on to have your breakfast or morning drink.
2. Start your mornings with fruit only. Since fruit is easily digested on an empty stomach, all the nutrients are absorbed well and give us an amazing boost and high energy to start the day.
3. Buy dandelion tea and drink it at least once a day. The dandelion root significantly reduces water retention after a heavily salted diet.
4. Try to eliminate any animal products for at least a week. Even on Shabbos, try to lower the quantity of animal products as they are acidic and cause cells to be mutated. Have legumes and grains instead.
5. Eat as many vegetables as possible. If it is possible for you to buy organic, that would be best. The more veggies and greens, the better.
If you follow these steps, I am sure you will feel better and lighter within days.
Over the last 20 years, Shirley Bar has developed a signature program called Shirley Bar Living that has allowed thousands of people around the world to get in the best shape of their lives and heal the most troublesome of health conditions using food as medicine. Shirley is an international bestselling author of Transform 42, a formulator of numerous bestselling products, and a media personality with a huge following in Israel. Shirley is now a Five Towns resident and welcomes your questions and concerns at Shirlybar123@gmail.com.