The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has already stated that the opening ceremony of the London Summer Olympics is “not fit” to remember the Munich Massacre of 12 Israeli athletes, but London mayor Boris Johnson seems to think otherwise.
Johnson was asked on his Twitter account, “What is your opinion on the IOC’s decision not to allow a one minute silence at London 2012 Olympic games?”
In response, Johnson said, “Believe me we will have one. Was stunned to find Barcelona (20 anniversary) had nothing.”
IOC president Jacques Rogge said on Saturday, “We feel that the opening ceremony is an atmosphere that is not fit to remember such a tragic incident.”
He tried to soften the blow to Israelis and Jews around the world by reminding them that the IOC will visit the airfield where some Israeli team members were killed.
“We are going to pay a homage as we have done in the past and will do in the future. That is what we are going to do,” Rogge told reporters. “We feel that we are able to give a very strong homage and remembrance within the sphere of the national Olympic committee.”
Earlier this month it was reported that the chairman of the London Organizing Committee for the 2012 Olympic Games, Lord Coe, had said that he will hold a “personal” moment for the Israeli athletes at the opening ceremony, but it was unclear how he intends to do so.
However, a statement later sent to Channel 2 News by the IOC said in no uncertain terms that “What Lord Coe had said in a private meeting held yesterday caused confusion. As for the tragedy that occurred 40 years ago, Coe said that incident will not be remembered with a moment of silence but on an individual basis for each of the victims. The opening ceremony in London will not include any element of commemoration.”
A ceremony in memory of the murdered athletes will be held at City Hall, the IOC told Channel 2, adding that this is “the most appropriate way to honor the memory of the fallen during the games in London.”
Source: Arutz Sheva