President Donald Trump Addresses Safety At David S. Mack Center for Training and Intelligence in Garden City on August 14
Share

President Donald Trump Addresses Safety At David S. Mack Center for Training and Intelligence in Garden City on August 14

President Trump greets Migdalia Martinez and retired NYPD Sergeant Jesus Freytes, whose son, 12-year-old Jacob Freytes, was fatally hit by a stray bullet outside a Bronx bodega in July

President Trump with County Executive Bruce Blakeman

President Donald Trump addresses safety at David S. Mack Center for Training and Intelligence in Garden City

Rep. Gillen Delivers Over $2 Million in New Federal Security Funding for Houses of Worship

Congresswoman Laura Gillen (D-NY-04) announced that eleven faith-based institutions in New York’s Fourth Congressional District have been awarded a total of more than $2 million in federal funding through the Nonprofit Security Grant Program (NSGP) to safeguard houses of worship and community spaces from security threats. Each institution will receive nearly $200,000 for safety enhancements, such as physical barriers, security cameras, and contracted security personnel.

Rep. Gillen has been a strong advocate for increased NSGP funding and has assisted Nassau County houses of worship in applying for and winning these grants. This year’s recipients include St. John’s Baptist Church of Inwood, Young Israel of Woodmere, HALB DRS Yeshiva High School, and several other houses of worship.

“Long Islanders deserve to gather and pray safely without fear of violence. I’m proud to have secured this federal funding for religious institutions in Nassau County through the Nonprofit Security Grant Program,” said Rep. Gillen. “No American should feel threatened simply for practicing their religion. I will continue to work with all our houses of worship to bring more federal dollars back to Long Island and keep worshippers safe.”

“We are sincerely grateful to Congresswoman Laura Gillen for her advocacy and support in securing this $190,000 Nonprofit Security Grant for Young Israel of Woodmere. The safety and security of our congregants, children, staff, and visitors is our highest priority, and these funds will allow us to further strengthen the measures we have in place to protect our community. At a time when houses of worship continue to face evolving security challenges, the Nonprofit Security Grant Program is an invaluable resource. We deeply appreciate Congresswoman Gillen’s commitment to ensuring that we have access to the federal resources needed to provide safe and secure environments for everyone who walks through our doors. This investment is not only in our synagogue, but in the safety and resilience of the broader Long Island community,” said Steven Myers, Executive Director, Young Israel of Woodmere.

“Security is a core cost that grows heavier every year, and the threats we plan for today didn’t exist just a few years ago,” said Rabbi Adam Englander, Head of School, Hebrew Academy of Long Beach (HALB). “We’re deeply grateful to Congresswoman Laura Gillen and everyone who fought to bring this federal Nonprofit Security Grant funding to HALB, helping us keep our students and faculty safe.”

The funding will be administered through the NYS Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services (NYS DHSES) and is made available through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Rep. Gillen has continuously supported increased funding for the Nonprofit Security Grant Program. She previously brought together interfaith religious leaders at Hofstra University to help prepare houses of worship in NY-04 to apply for NSGP funding. n

Hempstead Town Councilwoman Melissa Miller (2nd right) visited The Special Children Center in Lawrence on August 12, 2026. Councilwoman Miller is one of the Town’s greatest advocates for persons with special needs.

Village Of Lawrence Announces First Annual Summer Concert Spectacular Featuring Joey Newcomb, Free Kosher BBQ, And Fireworks Display

Joey Newcomb

The Village of Lawrence is pleased to announce its first Summer Concert Spectacular. Residents, families, and Five Towns community members are invited to gather for an evening of live music, delicious food, and world-class entertainment. The signature end-of-summer celebration will take place on Sunday, August 30, at the scenic Lawrence Yacht & Country Club.

The main event features a live performance by renowned musical artist Joey Newcomb, best known for his uplifting, spirit-filled music and viral hit anthems. In addition to live music, attendees will enjoy a complimentary Kosher BBQ, culminating in a grand Fireworks Display over the water.

“This inaugural celebration is all about bringing our families and neighbors together to celebrate the vibrant spirit of our community,” said Village of Lawrence Mayor Samuel Nahmias. “We are thrilled to welcome Joey Newcomb to the Lawrence Yacht & Country Club for what promises to be an unforgettable evening. From the music to the free Kosher BBQ and fireworks, this event reflects our administration’s commitment to enhancing village life, bringing residents together, and ending the summer season on a joyful note.”

Event Details:

Date: Sunday, August 30, 2026

Time Program begins at 7:00 p.m. | Fireworks at 8:00 p.m.

Location: Lawrence Yacht & Country Club Driving Range, Lawrence, NY

Admission: Free and open to the public. Attendees are encouraged to bring lawn chairs and blankets. Limited parking will be available on-site at the country club, with municipal traffic directors assisting arrivals.

For real-time updates, parking guidelines, and weather alerts, follow the official Village Instagram account @villageoflawrenceny or visit VillageOfLawrenceNY.gov. n

Cedarhurst Announces Major Expansion Of Washington Avenue Parking Field No. 10

{Caption Mayor Benjamin Weinstock, Deputy Mayor and New York State Assemblyman Ari Brown, Trustee Daniel Plaut, Trustee Izzy Wasser, Trustee Myrna Zisman, and Cedarhurst friend and Washington Avenue neighbor John Erbis with members of the team working on the Washington Avenue Parking Lot Expansion

The Incorporated Village of Cedarhurst is pleased to announce the major expansion of the Washington Avenue Parking Field No. 10, transforming what was once one of the Village’s smaller municipal parking fields into a significantly larger, safer, and more efficient parking facility.

The expansion will more than double the available parking to well over 100 spaces, providing a safer and more efficient parking layout, improved lighting, and a comprehensive drainage system designed to capture all water runoff on the property, while incorporating attractive landscaping and other aesthetic improvements.

Cedarhurst has what can only be described as a “good problem.” Its business district is extraordinarily busy. With around 200 stores and very few vacancies, people come from across Long Island and throughout the region to shop, dine, and do business in Cedarhurst. That success creates a constant demand for additional parking.

Rather than allowing that success to create greater congestion, the Village continues to invest in additional off-street parking. The expansion of the Washington Avenue Parking Field No. 10 will take more vehicles off surrounding streets, alleviate congestion, and provide greater convenience for residents, shoppers, and visitors.

Cedarhurst continues to be the envy of villages across the region, with a thriving downtown, an exceptionally low vacancy rate, and the lowest Village tax rate in New York State. The expansion of Parking Field No. 10 is another example of the Village investing in its infrastructure while remaining focused on fiscal responsibility.

The expansion of the Washington Avenue Parking Field No. 10 is part of Cedarhurst’s continuing commitment to supporting its merchants, improving quality of life for residents, reducing congestion, and ensuring that Cedarhurst remains one of Long Island’s premier destinations to live, shop, dine, and do business. 

Coalition for Jewish Values Announces Key Advances; Ambassador David Friedman and Irit Tratt to Join Advisory Board

Ambassador David Friedman

Coalition for Jewish Values (CJV), representing more than 2,500 traditional, Orthodox rabbis in American public policy, announced key additions to its professional staff and the appointment of multiple prominent leaders, including former Ambassador David Friedman, and Irit Tratt to its Advisory Board.

“CJV represents a unique voice in public policy, articulating Jewish values with clarity and authenticity,” said Ambassador Friedman, who played a key role advancing human rights and the cause of peace during his time as U.S. Ambassador to Israel, as well as deepening the U.S.-Israel alliance. “I believe what they are doing is critical for America’s future, and I am proud to join its Advisory Board.”

By joining the CJV Advisory Board, Amb. Friedman recognized CJV’s advancement as one of the leading voices for authentic Jewish values in the public policy sphere. This growth was cemented over the summer with three new staff entering key positions: Isabella Brannon as Director of Legal Affairs, Shaya Gedz as Director of Federal Affairs, and Rabbi Meir Levin as Director of External Relations.

Also joining the Advisory Board is Mrs. Irit Tratt, a National Board Member of the Republican Jewish Coalition, and a Board Member of Jerusalem News Syndicate and the Jewish Institute for National Security of America (JINSA), who also serves on the Steering Committee of the Jerusalem Center for Security and Foreign Affairs. “At this pivotal moment for Jews in America and around the world, principled leadership is essential,” said Mrs. Tratt. “I am proud to join the CJV Board and to help advance an agenda rooted in traditional Jewish values, moral clarity, and an unwavering commitment to Israel.”